Old October 16th 03, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Todays metro, Graffiti artest wanted

"Richard J." wrote the following in:

CJC wrote:

I too prefer seeing grafitti to adverstising on the tube, I don't
like the window scratches though, or on good architecture. I
think some of it looks alright, and TOX seems to know about the
tube at least, he/she tags where signals are and at window height
for maximum exposure. TOX could make a better effort in his/her
work though. I actually think some of the stuff done on a couple
of district line trains is good, better than the lack of paint on
it. LU should invite a few famous grafitti artists to do up a few
trains on the District, be a good publicity stunt.

That is utter rubbish IMO. TOX just paints his tag on any unused
surface that he can reach. Many of his efforts have vandalised
brick walls that have stood in their quiet dignified way for over
a century. The unpainted District line trains would look a lot
better if they didn't have to be subjected to harmful cleaning
agents to remove the grafitti. And please don't try to elevate
these vandals to the status of "artists". It's criminal damage
pure and simple.

I agree with everything you say here. The thing about the graffiti that
you get on tube property is that it simply isn't the kind of graffiti
that can be considered art. It's just a load of crap, unimaginative
tags that make otherwise pleasant looking trains ugly.

There's one of those designated graffiti area type things near my
house, and some of the stuff you get there is amazingly good. It really
transforms a dull concrete bridge (coincidentally it's a bridge over
the District line), and it's definitely a vast improvement. Anyone
trying to label the crap TOX is guilty of as art should see the real
thing first.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.