Old January 23rd 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Trains no longer waiting for pulling-up train

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:32:16 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

I've noticed, in the past few weeks, a decrease in courtesy when trains
actually wait for passengers to leave the arriving train across the
platform.

Sorry, that made no sense did it? I'm talking about things like Finchley
Road (Metropolitan to Jubilee) and Mile End (District to Central) and vice
versa.

[snip]

BEFORE ANYONE LEAPS DOWN MY THROAT AND TALKS ABOUT HAVING TO STICK TO
TIMETABLES ETC - I just wanted to say that IN THE PAST they waited, they
don't now (or they're less likely to do so now). That's all.

I have been using the Mile End interchange relatively frequently of late
and I have noticed trains on each line waiting for each other. I've
arrived on a District and the Central Line that was already there
waited. I've also observed for a few trains in a row as I waited for
the service I wanted.

You make the comment about timetables - I'm afraid this is a relevant
point here. The Central Line timetable is very finely balanced -
especially in the peaks so it's hard to justify extended dwell times
when you're running on 2 min headways.

The other issue is that the District and H&C have been through pretty
awful times in recent weeks. When there is disruption then there is less
opportunity to wait - especially if the service is being reformed to try
to get it back to timetable and to provide a better service for
everyone. I know you won't like this.

On the DLR the computers run the trains so that Stratford / Beckton
trains connect effortlessly at Poplar - very helpful and that shows you
what can be achieved with a modern and reliable system. It wasn't always
like that in the early days of the current signalling system!
--
Paul C