Old October 17th 03, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Why the piccadilly to Heathrow , why not the District?

(CJC) wrote in message . com...
were built, unusually. The piccadilly stock has specially built
luggage spaces. Also it is much quicker I find to central london. I

Yes , that stock AFAIK was built especially for the new heathrow link.
But then if they'd decided to use the district line then they'd have
built new district line trains (the district stock on the line then was
due to be replaced soon anyway , hence the D stock from 1978) that had
the same type luggage space but had generally more room. You can't get
around that fact that tube stock trains are small and if you have more
than a few suitcases in any given luggage area then things get awkward
and passengers boarding on and off end up tripping over them.

To be honest , short of using stock from the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch
railway you couldn't really use less appropriate trains to serve a major
international airport IMO and LU only made things worse when the
refurbishment of the trains substaintially reduced the amount of seating
(but did little to improve the standing room) which has resulted (I know
cos I've seen it) in people having to stand all the way from heathrow.

B2003