Old January 29th 07, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Opnion needed - Changing lines

In message .com of
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:27:41 in uk.transport.london, MIG
writes

[snip]

The way to get from the DLR to the Central is to head up the first big
escalator as directed (towards the front of the arriving DLR), but to
ignore the second escalator and turn right as if to the Northern Line,
after which you will find the direct passageway from the Northern to
the Central which, unlike following the original signs, doesn't take
you over the Central and down again.Is that the route up the spiral
staircase between the Northern and

Central lines? If so, it's unfortunately not shown on the
illustration.

So it seems that at both Green Park and at Bank not following the
signed instructions is the way to go! There's obviously a number of
routes between lines at interchanges, but I'm just trying to think if
any of them are as essential as these two for the savvy subterranean
traveller. (In general I reckon it's a bit out of order to go the
wrong way down a one way tunnel, but that said when you're in a rush
to get the last train I think one can be forgiven for abandoning such
niceties).

Yes, it would be the spiral staircase.

I should mention that my suggested route doesn't involve going the
wrong way down any passages; just following a sign to a different line
from the one you are trying to reach.

The situation is even worse if you are going the other way. To get to
the DLR from the Central, bearing in mind that the DLR is two levels
below, you are directed to start by climbing upstairs to get over one
of the Central platforms. I know they want to separate people out, but
I think it's asking a bit much to make people do that.

I would always head downwards towards the Northern and then cut
across. It's never particularly crowded.

Have you tried feedback to LU/TFL on the extended route?

I feedback to them regularly with a little success.

A couple of weeks ago, I reported a step free route at Kings Cross
between the Circle, Hammersmith & City, and Metropolitan platforms - all
2 of them - and the street which is not shown on the Circle and H&C line
diagrams. I omitted to check the Metropolitan line diagrams. Curiously,
I later found it IS shown on the latest network diagrams.

Customer Services said they passed my email to their Accessibility and
Inclusion Manager from whom I have yet to hear. It is odd that paper
change should lag behind reality.
--
Walter Briscoe