Old January 29th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Islington to Gatwick, early morning.

"David F" wrote:
Hi Folks - hopefully someone can help me. I'm travelling to Gatwick
Airport on Thursday morning. My flight leaves at 12.30 and am supposed
to be there about 2.5 hours before departure. So I need to be walking
into the terminal at about 10am.

I don't really fancy taking the Gatwick Express and would prefer to
drive, likely to have lots of bags on the return is the primary
reason.

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but if I were you I'd forget
driving. Any hassle saved by having the car ready at the other end will be
far outweighed by the cost of parking, the journey itself, the fact that
you'd have to leave pretty early to get a reasonable run (as opposed to
about half an hour from London Bridge that takes you straight to the centre
of the airport, plus 15-20 minutes getting to London Bridge from home). Or,
thinking about it, you could go from King's Cross Thameslink - though coming
back London Bridge would probably be easier if you've got lots of bags.

On your return, whether you go by car or train you'll still have to get all
the bags to the car, and it won't be much less hassle getting them to the
train and onto that, and you could possibly get a taxi company to meet you
at the train to help you with your baggage, overall costing you a lot less
than the fuel/parking costs of driving to the airport and leaving the car
there.

Just my 2p worth.....

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."