Old February 1st 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Different approach to smart card travel

On Feb 1, 1:25 pm, "sweek" wrote:

Having to touch out in buses and trams seems like a lot of effort and
will probably lead to larger dwell times.

Doesn't in Singapore. Indeed, I'd recommend it as a good solution for
a UK ITSO smartcard, because it would allow a smartcard to be
implemented with no fare structure change at all, which would be
rather useful where there are a multitude of private bus companies
with different fare levels.

I was hoping this would give you the option to just get on a train,
switch to a metro, and only pay a combined fair for both of them. But
instead it still works with separate journeys for every type of
transport.

Does it charge two "base tariffs" for two journeys, or is there an
interchange discount? If it charges two "base tariffs" it's far worse
than the Strippenkaart, which allows unlimited free changes of vehicle/
mode.

Oh well, I know I'm sounding very negative here, but the Dutch haven't
been able to deliver on transport projects (HSL-Zuid, Betuweroute
etc.) lately.

And Randstadrail, which has been an unmitigated, British-style
disaster. Given that the classic tram rail and the Alstom LRVs appear
to be totally incompatible (two more derailments on the 3 route last
week, not on steeply-superelevated track unlike previous problems) I
fail to see how it can ever run.

Neil