Old October 17th 03, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Darren Wiltshire Darren Wiltshire is offline

Default Overnight Tube

Sad but true...

Btw, where on LUL do you work?

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:34:51 +0100, Paul Weaver
wrote:

As I understand it, the tube has to be closed overnight because of
maintenance work. The NYC subway has 4 tunnel lines so they can be open
all night.

What about a limited service using just one track? You'd have one train
running back and forth between 2 to 3 stations. Take the victoria for
example, one train would run Brixton - Stockwell - Vauxhall - Pimlico -
Victoria and back again, giving a frequency of one train every 20 minutes
in each direction, then a train would run victoria to kings cross, again

20 minutes service, kings cross - seven sisters, seven sisters -
waltahstow.

[snip]

this will seem like a negative answer but I'm trying to tell it
straight.

typically the signalling system will not allow this form of reverse
working. It would also be expensive to install for relatively little
benefit.

There are considerable safety issues concerning working in adjacent
"closed" tunnels or even within the stations which would need to remain
open. Huge amounts of maintenance works occur right throughout the
stations at night including those jobs which cannot be undertaken when
trains run because there are restrictions on working too close to the
platform edge. Even simple tasks like deep cleans or use of mechanical
cleaners cannot be done if people are traipsing through the stations.

There is the fact that very large scale improvement projects are planned
across the LUL network over the next few years and they need amounts of
time when the system is closed to allow efficient working. I'm not
saying it's impossible to work round a limited night service but
delivery of these improvements would be much later than planned.

Is there a demand for all night services?

If you look at the demand for night buses and taxis the answer would
appear to be yes. However I think the demand is different to daytime
demand as there is not a lot of short hop, zone 1 travel. It is much
more about Zone 1 to home with possibly a bit of zone 2 to home travel
for those inner london areas with popular clubs, pubs etc. This is
certainly reflected in the Night Bus network design and the usage
thereof.

Another big issue with your proposed "staggered" service pattern would
be how it is communicated to and understood by people who to a large
degree are not at the height of their faculties after a night on the
time. There are too many accidents associated with alcohol at present
and a more complicated service pattern that would not necessarily run
from the "normal" platforms or the "normal" direction could present
increased safety risks. The management of those passenger flows and
identifying which train is going where would be a considerable issue.

Just some thoughts which I'm pretty sure will be derided by the core
faction of anti LUL sentiment on the group.
--
Paul C