Old February 1st 07, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colum Mylod Colum Mylod is offline

Default Carbon footprint (WAS Plaistow)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:38:38 +0000, Dave A wrote:

From the office side of things, TfL is certainly the most
environmentally-friendly organisation I have worked for - at least in my
part of the world, it has a genuinely green culture, unlike other
organisations I have worked for which like to look green to the outside
but carry on wasting on the inside. Power consumption for most floors of
most TfL offices is published on the intranet to encourage competition
in energy efficiency.

Interesting. Uses peoples' competitiveness in a useful way. I trust
they don't use pod-based coffee machines either!

I would also point out that all parts of the station that passengers can
reach must have their lights on to avoid nasty personal security
implications for passengers.

Also a lot of those lights don't like short on-off cycles so the true
impact of switching often would be to increase costs and the amount of
lights dumped but many people don't think of lifecycle costs. (Aside:
one reason I find the move to try to ban incandescent bulbs a puzzle
is that they're ideal for locations where "on" is brief - under IR
control for example).

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com