Old February 3rd 07, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Different approach to smart card travel

"Richard J." wrote in message
k...

You don't actually need to "touch in" as it will read the card if you hold
it up to about 1 cm above the disc.

Same here in London.

The other development in Paris is that in Métro stations they have started
to phase out the selling of tickets other than from the machines. Only a
few stations so far, but I think it will spread across the network. There
is still an RATP person behind the window, but he's there to offer advice
and information, not to sell tickets. Tickets can still be bought over
the counter at the local 'tabac' though.

Holland's national rail is really stressing that passengers should purchase
tickets from machines, I have heard.

It is still possible to buy a ticket from somebody behind a window, but it
incurs a surcharge of 50 cents, I also heard.