Old February 6th 07, 12:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Harry G Harry G is offline

Default Pudding Mill Lane

On 6 Feb, 00:44, "MIG" wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:38 am, "Harry G" wrote:

On 4 Feb, 20:00, Dave A wrote: I made use of Pudding Mill Lane DLR station for the first time on
Saturday - an interesting experience. Surprisingly, it's not DLR's
least-used station (that accolade goes to Beckton Park for reasons that
I haven't yet worked out), with a very respectable annual usage figure
of about 325,000 passengers.

I'm just wondering... are these figures are based strictly on single
paper ticket sales, or on actual passenger surveys? If it's the
former, I'm guessing that the cheapest ticket (or one of the cheapest)
to get you through the automatic ticket barriers at Stratford would be
a single to Pudding Mill Lane...!

It's actually the same price to Pudding Mill Lane as to Lewisham or
anywhere not in Zone 1.

Oh well, that theory is probably disproved!

Although... the 325,000 ppa figure is perhaps a 2005 figure, before
the paper ticket prices were hiked? Was it cheaper to go to PML then
than other stations - PML is joint Zone 2/3, Stratford is Zone 3 -
meaning a Zone 3 ticket only, but all other DLR stations required a
Zone 2 and 3 ticket.

I appreciate some LU stations near Stratford are also Zone 3 and would
have had the same prices, but because of gates at the other end you
would need a ticket to the right destination to exit an LU station. If
travelling on DLR (or National Rail services come to it) you could
walk out freely at almost any station so long as the train captain/
conductor hadn't inspected your ticket.

I was talking to a conductor on a ScotRail service into Glasgow Queen
Street shortly after automatic barriers were introduced there, and he
said the amount of tickets sold from Queen Street to the first station
(Bishopbriggs/Lenzie?) had increased massively since the gating - the
clear reason being that people were buying the cheapest possible
ticket simply to open the gates.