Old February 6th 07, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MJS MJS is offline

Default Different approach to smart card travel

Neil Williams wrote:

Flying from City in the Fokker 50s (either VLM or KLM, not a lot to
choose between them) is a real pleasure - like flying used to be, it
could be said. Give it a go, though the downside is that punctuality
can be a bit poor at times.

Neil

I find this is best way to get to NL from London. It's usually very low
in stress. The Fokkers are great fun to fly on. Like Neil said,
punctuality can suffer though, and pray you don't land in Haarlem - or
what feels like it, that runway is a LONG way from the terminal.
KLM stick you on the stands and bus you into Arrivals, VLM have their
own gate. It depends how far you want to walk!

Back onto the NS ticketing fiasco, there's a change machine cunningly
hidden in what's left of the booking office at Amsterdam Centraal. Last
time I was there no-one was using it, prefering, instead to queue for
the surcharged tickets.

What would be really nice, and I can't ever see this happening, is
reciprocal use of smrtcards across compatible networks. According to
Wiki, TfL and GVB are using MIFARE cards. I just like the idea using one
card where I can.
Mark.