Old February 10th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default fare dodgers

On 10 Feb 2007 06:13:19 -0800, "Paul Weaver"
wrote:

Some I can't see how you can catch, even with checks on trains. I
accosted a middle-class fare dodger at my local station the other day,
they had followed through the barrier on my heels so I loudly informed
them that fare dodging was illegal and punishable by a £1000 fine. She
insisted that she had a valid ticket but it wasn't valid until after
09:30 (it was 0900), and it was no buisness of mine, to which I
responded if it's valid, it would open the barrier, and if you're fare
dodging you're increasing my fare and making my station seem less used
than it is, leading to possible closure.

If, and it's a big if, you detect you are to be subjected to "a lambada"
through a gate then it's quite fun to stop before the end of the aisle
and make loud shouty noises about what on earth is going on. ;-)

This sort of fraud can be dealt with if there are plain clothes
inspectors and police waiting in the ticket hall area. Local staff will
know if there is a prevalence for such behaviour at particular times and
suitable observation and checks can be put in place. CCTV coverage at
gatelines also assists in identifying the problem. I accept, though,
that a proportion of such fraud is opportunistic which is harder to deal
with.
--
Paul C