Old February 11th 07, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default fare dodgers

On Feb 11, 11:56 am, Dave Newt wrote:
James Farrar wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 11:55:19 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

How long do you suppose the gates remain open? Anyway, with people
jammed up behind, it's not easy to turn round, and by the time you
could shuffle out, the gates would definitely be closed.

My ticket would then still have worked, but hers wouldn't.

Don't they stay open until someone goes through them?

Exactly.

I guess there are different kinds of machine operated by different
companies, but I am sure that I have been caught out by taking too
long in the past, eg when carrying something awkward, and I've seen
others caught out as well. I wouldn't want to risk it.

It's still not easy to back out when someone is so close behind you,
and the rest of the queue behind them, that they've already put their
ticket in. Easier to go through and lend them your ticket (assuming
you've got a valid one, which I did).