Old February 15th 07, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster Journey History - can anyone explain this?

On 15 Feb, 08:45, Barry Salter wrote:
MIG wrote:
But in the case described in this thread, the card had been touched at
a number of places within time limits that would have made such a
suspicion impossible. So, as long as someone doesn't disappear
mysteriously, but continues touching in and out within their capping
zones (at "continuation" places like Bow and Canary Wharf etc), what
is the justification for assuming that they could have gone outside of
the zones and punishing them accordingly?

The problem is with how the system has been coded. Until I saw the OP's
history, I assumed that if you touched a validator en route, it'd reset
your two hour time limit. As we've seen here, it doesn't.

Had the OP spent more than 15 minutes (or thereabouts) in Bow and/or
Canary Wharf, the Out of Station Interchanges would have "timed out" and
he would have been charged correctly, rather than the whole thing having
been treated as one journey.

I see that, but my suggestion was that, given that the various touches
were recorded, the timing out of the total journey ought to have at
worst resulted in it being treated as two journeys rather than as an
unresolved journey, since with the various touches involved there was
nothing unresolved about it. The system had a record of every entry
and exit.

Given that programming it one way must be as easy as programming it
the other way, my question was about the justification for programming
it to treat it as an unresolved journey when everything about it was
totally resolved.

Innocent mistake in the coding resulting in huge overcharging is a bit
hard to swallow.