Old February 16th 07, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Non-terminus

On 16 Feb, 14:29, Michael Hoffman wrote:
wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
What about a ticket, eg KXTL-Gatwick-KXTL, getting off at Farringdon
on the return leg.

A ticket from Gatwick (or anywhere in the south) to London Terminals
only gets you as far as City Thameslink. You'd need a slightly more
expensive ticket to get to KXTL (or Farringdon), to cover the cross
London journey.

Surely if Rob bought a return to Gatwick Airport at KXTL, they would
have sold him one that was valid.

Quite.

However I'm sure I've read a tale of someone being sold a plain
vanilla "London Terminals" ticket from a Southern ticket office
despite specifying they were heading to KXTL - i.e. the ticket office
made a mistake. However the ticket nonetheless got them through the
KXTL gates, seemingly because said gates were (are?) too liberal in
what tickets they accept. One explaination for this was simply that,
given the vast array of valid tickets that could be presented at KXTL,
it's pretty hard to program them exactly.

Of course if a "London Terminals" ticket from the south is wrongly
accepted at KXTL then this can only add to the confusion that
perpetually surrounds this issue!