Old October 18th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Big car owners face tax hike

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , dave F
writes
So it's back! Should big car owners face higher tax charges?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3202590.stm

I remember this topic been discussed on this NG before the CONge$tion

charge
was introduced.

I still believe large engine capacity engines and above average car

length
vehicles should face an extra tax.

Also should company's that provide company cars be charged a double

vehicle
tax?

daveF

This article refers to the vehicle excise duty (road tax) which is
already cheaper for small cars.

Unfortunately it's only cheaper for newer cars. I think the cutoff was 2000
or 2001 - certainly slighter more recent that the age of my car (Sep 1999).
Which means that although my car has an economical diesel engine that does
50 mpg with a correspondingly low level of CO2, I get taxed at the same rate
as if my car were a petrol-engined car in the most polluting band. Still,
it's only £40/year - not enough to rant and rave about. Sad though that the
DVLC couldn't do the job properly and make the scheme apply to *all* cars,
using the manufacturers' published fuel economy and CO2 figures.

I'm very much in favour of a two-tier taxation system for company cars that
charges the company (not the driver) an extra VED on top of the rate for
private citizens. Unfortunately, any increase in VED on company cars would
not be absorbed by the company's profits (as it should be) but would end up
being passed on to the customer - and hence ultimately the private citizen.