Old February 20th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Petition against C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel

On 20 Feb 2007 08:12:35 -0800, "John B" wrote:

On 20 Feb, 13:22, wrote:
And I'm not sure what to say to someone who lives in the borough with
the highest levels of asthma in London and would prefer cars to be
able to clog up the entire borough, not just the main roads. And to
someone who lives in Zone 2, well served by regular public transport,
who drives to work. Unbelievable. I really hope Greenwich council
carries this plan through.

I sincerely hope that mindless petitions are banned in the very near
future!

If the EL river crossing is ever built then I hope that will have a nice
toll slapped on it as well as on the Blackwall Tunnel - whether via a
congestion charge or some other mechanism (mandatory Oyster cards for
all motorists and massive "pads" installed at the tunnel entrances -
"beep").

I'd tend to agree overall with your sentiments (as well as Dave's) -
it's worth noting, though, that the OP claims to drive to work at
0430, at which point public transport is not at its best. Indeed, the
TfL planner claims there are no suitable night buses *at all*; I'm
slightly sceptical but not sufficiently so to investigate in detail.

Don't worry - TfL are about to fix that as there is to be a N188
introduced later this year which nicely provides a 24 hour service from
Greenwich to Bermondsey.

There will also be a better service on the 25 at night and 24 hour
service introduced on the 128, 472, 474, 141 and W3. Note also that
late evening services are being added M-F on the Red Arrows and the 205
is to be extended to Mile End Station and increased in frequency as
well. I think I heard a rumour about it also going 24 hour but I might
have my memory in a muddle on this latter point.

--
Paul C