Old February 21st 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tristán White Tristán White is offline

Default Petition against C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel

If they do introduce a C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel, I hope they give any
residents of the boroughs of Canning Town a discount for entering the
tunnel (and Greenwich) in the same way as they would inevitably give the
residents of Greenwich.

All I've heard is that they would only consider giving this discount to
Greenwich residents, because it's a Greenwich Council proposal. Which is
disgusting, as the tunnel applies to neighbours on both sides.

To be honest, on the whole I'm 100% in favour of C-Charges, and as a
transport user and a pedestrian, I can see the great improvements in
London. And for all his faults, Ken has delivered. But I don't think that
it's necessarily a good idea to do the same with the tunnel. What then?
Everyone will use Rotherhithe, and the problem there will be increased
fourfold. And Rotherhithe is narrower and the traffic is just as bad at
rush hour - worse, I think.

However, I don't think the original poster has too much to worry about.
From what I've read, Greenwich Council introduced it thinking it would be a
positive move, but have been completely surprised by the negative reaction
and I read somewhere that a councillor confirmed that it won't go ahead if
it really is so popular. After all, they want to remain electable, I guess.