Old February 21st 07, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Cheap Chavez oil to fund half-price bus travel for those on income support

On 21 Feb, 09:56, "Graham J" wrote:
It should be noted that the information I've read so far suggests that
only those on income support will benefit, not those on job seekers
allowance, so this will benefit those who have a low income rather
than no income.

That is the impression I got too. I can't say I particularly like the idea
as I don't feel TfL should be getting involved in the benefits system in
this way.

Surely people on Job Seekers' Allowance already get the New Deal card
and associated 50% off? This just levels the playing field between
different groups of jobless people (also, income support does not mean
what you think it means - it encompasses people who aren't eligible
for other benefits).

I'd much prefer TfL to offer a level playing field. The Freedom Pass is not
really an issue for me as it is funded by local Councils (or is that an over
simplification?) and usage tends to be outside the peak periods
anyway.

I don't really care whether local councils or TfL are funding it -
ultimately it comes out of our taxes. & to me it seems fairer to give
cheap travel to a single mum with no money off than to a 64-year-old
company director with a six figure annual income and two half-million
pound houses [real example of someone I know with a Freedom Pass...].

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org