Old February 21st 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colum Mylod Colum Mylod is offline

Default Petition against C-Charge for Blackwall Tunnel

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:28:36 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

If the EL river crossing is ever built then I hope that will have a nice
toll slapped on it as well as on the Blackwall Tunnel - whether via a
congestion charge or some other mechanism (mandatory Oyster cards for
all motorists and massive "pads" installed at the tunnel entrances -
"beep").

Why not provide alternatives, research why many are in cars instead of
using the big money stick? People will change mode of transport over
time but the big stick leads to a large political fallout:
resentments, vote out the bullies. Transport provision for decades was
road-based and patterns of movements have built up around them. M25 is
the classic example. It should take brains, research and time to
enable change (including breaking the awful 9am school and work
deadline).

I oppose the "toll them all" mentality. Have things declined so much
that the only solution to any issue is to go for wallets?

Capita seem to think that we all love cars. I registered for the
residents' "discount" merely to access a road to drive *out* of
London, away from congestion. In comes a letter: do you know you can
access the West End by car now, why not pay and drive in? It's not
quite that blunt but the sentiment really stuck. Daytime West End is a
tube for me, not a car.

--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com