Old October 19th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Congestion charge cheat

"Colin McKenzie" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote:
I didn't know this. I suppose it fits in with the modern ruling that

speed
cameras should be made highly visible so they act as a deterrent, on the
lines that it's better to slow cars down than simply to penalise the

drivers
after the event for speeding.

An argument which is of course complete drivel.

Really? So you'd prefer to let drivers speed and then penalise them
afterwards, rather than give them every incentive and reminder not to speed
in the first place? Yes, I know you shouldn't speed, but there are some 30
mph limits which are so out of proportion with the conditions of the road
and the absence of hazards that you need a constant reminder. When I was
learning to drive, my instructor, an ex police Class 1 driver, said that he
(and certain other police drivers) had a piece of card that they stuck to
the centre of the steering wheel whenever they were in a 30 zone to remind
them of the fact.