Old February 23rd 07, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default London Transport museum

Keith Raeburn wrote:
On 23 Feb, 15:58, David Cantrell wrote:
At Covent Garden station this morning the charming young
lady^Wrecorded announcement was telling people to get off there
for the museum. I take it that it has re-opened then?

No, the automated announcement advising people to alight for the
museum has been in use continually since it closed,

Since you have apparently listened to it continually and are evidently
irritated by it, I assume you must have complained to LU/TfL about it.
What response did you receive?

proving that not only do these new announcements constitute
over-provision
(announcing every station name in advance, despite everybody coping
perfectly well without LU doing so before),

Given that London is a major international tourist destination, and
having noticed many tourists staring in bewilderment at the line
diagrams in the trains, I think it's likely that many passengers do
appreciate being told the next station name in advance. There are many
examples of over-provision in announcements, but this isn't one of them.

but that one also ends up less informed by listening to them than by
not!

In this instance I agree, but not generally.
--
Richard J.