Old February 24th 07, 08:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Secret Tube Trains under London?

Bill Again wrote:
"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:
Brian Watson wrote:
"Alistair Gunn" wrote in message
. ..

People are always claiming that the UK Tridents can't be fired
without the USA authorisation (or even that only the USA controls
them), but they never seem to be able to provide any evidence for
this (or any evidence as to why the UK would be foolish enough to
sign up to such a deal).
Might be something to do with incurring HUGE debts to the US during
WW1 and the rematch between 1939 and '45.

Those debts were paid off in December.

Only the WWII-related ones. We still (now largely theoretically) owe
the USA money from Round One, but we are owed rather more money by
other countries than we ourselves owe. The various debts were all
pretty much put to one side during the depression between the wars,
except for Finland who paid up their bit.

While there are various books on how the west would have dealt with a
Soviet attack and the resulting WWIII, has anyone looking into the
other angle, and what the USSR thought the evil capitalist
imperialists would do when they launched an attack on the workers of
the eastern bloc?
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Case in point. I had an East German visitor staying here for a while
after the Wall came down. He had been a tank driver in the East German
army during the 80's and I asked him what he thought about it all. He,
and his thousands of similarly engaged compatriots, were sitting there
in their massed tanks waiting for the NATO forces to come pounding
eastwards across the German/ German border. I mentioned that we rather
thought that it might be the other way round. He appeared genuinely
astounded to hear this.

(Hello, wot you doing here?!)

That is what I was thinking. What did Ivan think we would do?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK