Old February 25th 07, 05:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Anyone driven the CC free route yet?

Paul Corfield wrote:
On 24 Feb 2007 13:29:27 -0800, wrote:

Is it just a question of following green signs to
stay on the free road.

That was pretty much word for word what my suggestion was going to be.

I don't drive so I don't know about any specific "free route
signage".

There is no free route signage as such, but every direction sign pointing
*away* from the free route will have the congestion charge symbol (white C
in a red circle, as found here
http://www.cclondon.com/ ) under the
destination (such as Mayfair). Lanes leading you into the congestion charge
area bear a black C on a white circle in the centre of the lane, so if you
see one of them passing under the centre of your front bumper, you had
better change lane. You will often be in a lane which allows you to travel
forward or turn, and travelling forward will be okay, but turning will bring
you into the zone: these lanes have a black C on a white circle off-centre
in the lane - you are okay here so long as you travel forward and don't take
the turn. If you see a *white* C on a *red* circle passing under your
bumper, you have gone the wrong way and need to pay the congestion charge.

I would just follow signs for Victoria or South London.

Careful: Victoria Coach Station is in the charging zone. I don't think there
are any signs to South London anywhere.

At
the end of Park Lane you are at Hyde Park Corner which is really just
a stonking big roundabout - I'm pretty damn sure it
is signed for Victoria.

Not sure about the sign, but the lanes certainly have Victoria painted on
them.

The signage will be pointing you to Victoria
/ Victoria Station / Vauxhall Bridge / South London from Marble Arch
I would imagine.

The free route is mostly marked "Ring Road Southbound" or something similar.