Old October 19th 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew P Smith Andrew P Smith is offline

Default Congestion charge cheat

In article m, Martin
Underwood writes

And then there's the roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. This started out as one
big 6-way roundabout. It worked fairly well. Then the traffic planners took
it into their silly meddlesome heads to place a mini roundabout where each
road joins the big roundabout (which they reduced in diameter). To negotiate
the roundabout, you now have to go round several mini roundabouts. Moreover,
if you are turning right, you go clockwise round each mini roundabout but
*anti-clockwise* round the central roundabout, which feels very wrong:

http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/hemel.gif

There are now three places (marked with an X) where a driver must check for
traffic on his right, whereas on a normal roundabout there is only one -
normally once you are on a roundabout you do not have to give way to anyone.

I know this junction well but don't often get held up there despite the
traffic conflicts. The lanes are badly marked and you can have 2 lanes
of right turning traffic both trying to get into the left turn lane for
the next roundabout 15m ahead.

Strangely the roundabouts in High Wycombe (I presume you mean the ones near
the Fire Station and at the bottom of Marlow Hill) don't seem too bad -
maybe because they are spaced far enough apart that they don't seem like one
big junction - you have you sufficient time and distance to "recover" from
one before encountering the next.

Try them at 8.30am tomorrow morning!
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this