Old February 26th 07, 05:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] xnichols@hotmail.com is offline

Default The Routemaster Association

On 25 Feb, 22:49, "Richard J." wrote:

I can think of many people who have good reason to prefer other types of
bus, but your mind is evidently closed on the subject, so it seems
pointless to pursue the matter.

I don't know how you managed to ascertain that.

Since I initiated the trolleybus thread, I obviously don't have a
"closed mind" about any particular form of public transport. It
should, of course, have low CO2 emissions and offer an effective,
cheap form of transport.

The RM did suit London conditions well and was almost universally
popular, unlike the vehicles that replaced it.
It's a shame that it hasn't been possible to develop a less polluting
design, based on the RM concept. One of the main reasons for this was
that the manufacturing capacity that sustained urban transport was run
down beforehand. Another was privatisation of the buses, which works
against centralised purchasing and planning.