Old February 26th 07, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default London Transport museum

On Feb 26, 3:26�pm, "James" wrote:
On 25 Feb, 21:43, " wrote:

So what would you choose as (a) the *new name for the Imperial War
Museum and (b) the replacement for the Order of the British Empire?

I say leave the Imperial War Museum alone. These days they'd set up a
focus group and call it Consignia. And if you think I'm joking, have
you seen the replacement Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry?

James.

James,

I am in agreement with you. I travelled past Imperial College
(Paddington) today and was reminded that this institution, on its
divorce from the University of London had the prime opportunity to
"update" its name, and has chosen not to do so. Good for them!

As for those keen on renaming honours, can someone suggest why, given
that she died well over a Century ago, the Victoria Cross is not
renamed, for example, the Elizabeth Cross? (As for precedents, the
Albert Medal and Edward Medal were both subsumed into the George Cross
in 1950s). However, I don't think that anyone is seriously suggesting
that this should happen, because the name is far too valuable and
historic. I would suggest exactly the same of the Order of the British
Empire. By all means devise a new honour (e.g. O.B. - the Order of
Blair should of course be given to all the brown-nosed scum who have
"loaned" his party money), but I would prefer that historic Orders are
left alone.

Those that are the most treasured, of course, the Garter, Thistle and
Royal Victorian Orders are most treasured because they are untainted
by political corruption, being in the personal gift of the Sovereign -
as I believe should all others.

Marc.