Old February 26th 07, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Hoffman Michael Hoffman is offline

Default London Transport museum

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Michael Hoffman wrote:

MIG wrote:

Let's imagine that I am in Paris. I get on a train on Line 4 without
knowing what line my destination station is on or where to change.

How would it help me to hear an announcement that I am at a station
with a French name where I can change to line 6?

It would help if you were blind or visually impaired. A lot.

How exactly? May i suggest you read the original question again?

I sometimes get on a train without knowing the exact details of the rest
of my journey, figuring them out en route. I figure them out on the
train. A visually impaired person could do the same with a braille map.
I believe you can order a braille map of the Paris Metro from the
Association Valentin Hauey.

The case where the person knows that the destination station is on line
6 but doesn't know the interchange point is much more likely I think. In
this case an announcement would be as useful as the interchange points
being on strip maps.

This branch of the thread was started by Keith Raeburn complaining that
"announcing every station name in advance, despite everybody coping
perfectly well without LU doing so before" was "over-provision." It
should now be obvious that this is not true.
--
Michael Hoffman