Old February 26th 07, 07:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graham J Graham J is offline

Default Southall - Zonal fare rip-off?

There are two different types of zonal fares that apply now. First up, you
have the "rail only" zonal fares, and then there are the "Train-Tube"
fares.

The latter are the only variety valid on the tube and are issued from the
origin station to the appropriate zonal combination (or vice versa).

So, in this example, your friend was issued precisely the correct ticket
(namely Goodmayes to U1234), and the member of staff at Southall was
talking through his backside.

My reading of the NFM section quoted was that the ticket price was based on
the zonal fares but that it should still be issued as a point to point
ticket.

I often used to buy a single from East Croydon to Edmonton Green. The
ticket office staff at East Croydon invariably looked up Edmonton Green in a
big book and then issued me with an East Croydon to U1234 ticket. It used
to annoy me because it cost more than the correct single ticket. I never
realised I was also travelling on an invalid ticket.

G.