Old February 28th 07, 07:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default North London Line

On 27 Feb 2007 13:56:41 -0800, Mizter T wrote:

The new trains should also be more tube-like, and in the end the
service should look something like this:
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/img/pr...il-phase-1.png
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/img/pr...il-phase-2.png

You rightly point out that the new Electrostar trains will be of a
more suitable design, which will of course help, but they won't cure
the problem. More capacity is needed.

I should of course have consulted the alwaystouchout page I referred
to in my first post and taken a proper look at those maps before
posting, so thanks for providing the direct link. I'm not quite sure
how the 8tph between Willesden Junction and Stratford will get fitted
in with all the freight, but that is indeed the plan - though not
until 2010 at the earliest.

It seems to be more of an aspiration than a plan. Network Rail pour
cold water on it in their Cross-London Route Utilisation Strategy:

"Beyond 2014:
It has not been possible to identify infrastructure deliverable within
the scope and timeframe of this RUS that would accommodate TfL's
ultimate aspiration of four trains per hour on each of a number of
overlapping routes as well as existing freight traffic."

Briefly, the recommendations of the RUS a

-extend NLL and WLL platforms and services to 4 car
-cut existing Southern WLL service back to Croydon and add 1tph
Shepherds Bush - Croydon
-extend existing 2tph Silverlink WLL services along the Goblin to
Barking (using Class 170 units reconfigured to Class 376 standard)
-add 2tph Stratford to Queen's Park
-signalling improvements to improve headways on the NLL and Goblin
-4-tracking Camden to Dalston (formerly 4-track but currently 3-track)
-provision of through platforms on the Goblin at Gospel Oak
-NLL power supply upgrade
-freight loop at Camden Road