Old February 28th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default North London Line

In message .com
"Adrian" wrote:

[snip]

Much of the freight traffic on the North London Line does not even need to
be in London. I am convinced that the UK needs a freight arc from
Felixstowe to Southampton. This could be constructed using, in part, the
track beds of the DN&S and LNWR Oxford to Cambridge routes.

What would be the logic of a freight connection between Southampton and
Felixstowe? I would have thought that there would be little or no traffic
actually between those points. Both are major container ports with traffic
to and from the major manufacturing centres of Britain. Those connections
could certainly do with upgrading. The two ports are too close together by
sea for there to be any advantage in unloading containers at one port,
railing them across country and reembarking them at the other.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.