Old February 28th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Transport museum

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:34:54AM +0000, Michael Hoffman wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
Nonsense. If all I know is that my destination is on the Picadilly
line, I'm not going to get on a random train at (say) Victoria) and hope
it's going in the right direction. That way lies Brixton and Upminster
and other forms of depravity. No, I'm going to look at the damned map.

Yes, but I didn't going to say what *you* were going to do. You probably
don't need a message telling you to take your belongings when you leave
the train either. The announcements aren't designed for David Cantrell.

So who the hell *are* they designed for?

A tourist who doesn't know the system is at Victoria and wants to go to
Covent Garden. Does *he* get on a random train? No. He looks at the
map or asks someone for help. Because I distinctly remember there not
being any announcements at Victoria saying "if you want Covent Garden
take the Victoria line northbound and change at Green Park for an
eastbound Picadilly line train. If you want Baker Street, take the
Victoria line northbound to Oxford Circus and change for a northbound
Bakerloo line train, although you might like to take the bus instead.
Sit on the top deck, at the front and you'll get a great view of Marble
Arch as you go past".

Frankly I'm not at all sure who the announcements about luggage are for.
They're sure as hell not going to deter the one group of people who *do*
deliberately leave their stuff on trains. I refer, of course, to
litter-louts.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

You don't need to spam good porn