Old February 28th 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Southall - Zonal fare rip-off?

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:11:51 on Wed, 28 Feb
2007, Paul Terry remarked:
It probably happened with Ashford to Ashford (for which I remember
seeing a ticket from one to the other) and Gillingham to Gillingham, but
I can't recall a real life example.

I've certainly suffered the Gillingham confusion, although not by
train. A couple of years ago I was working in Canterbury for a client
for a week, and was told that I'd need to pop up the road to Gillingham
one afternoon. Despite being pronounced with a soft G it turned out to
be a return drive to Dorset

I've had the Ashford problem. Invited to meet a client by a third party,
who was convinced it was the Middx one, and only at the very last minute
changed his mind to Kent.

I've been sent to Farnham when the interviewee was in Fareham. Oh how we
laffed!

We had a sub-editor who was renowned for these sort of mistakes by the name
of Mark Bayliss. One good one was being sent to cover the Orient Express
visiting Weymouth. I'd actually covered the story the previous week so we
had a gentle drive down to Weymouth, a good lunch and then phoned into the
office to find where the train had got to. The girl in the newsroom looked
on her computer and came back with 'You've been Baylissed!' Apparently he
was sat behind her at the time.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.