Old February 28th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Dan Gravell Dan Gravell is offline

Default North London Line

Adrian wrote:
Much of the freight traffic on the North London Line does not even
need to be in London. I am convinced that the UK needs a freight arc
from Felixstowe to Southampton. This could be constructed using, in
part, the track beds of the DN&S and LNWR Oxford to Cambridge routes.

This is not something I actually expect to happen! But such a route
could keep a substantial portion of the NL Line's freight load away
from London.

Sorry - I'm not so clued up about this but I am interested. You're
saying that a significant amount of capacity on London's railways are
taken with freight? Freight which has no relation to London and is just
travelling through? So London's crowded passenger network (not to
mention my miserable journey each morning) is partly caused by trains
which shouldn't even be on the (London) network?

I can't get my head around why freight trains would run on the NLL.
There're some industrial areas to the east and the north west I guess,
but does that justify taking capacity from the movement of people around
the capital?

The North London Line needs to function much like TfL's mass transit
lines.

Agree!