Old February 28th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mike Roebuck Mike Roebuck is offline

Default North London Line

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:55:02 +0000, Dan Gravell
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Much of the freight traffic on the North London Line does not even
need to be in London. I am convinced that the UK needs a freight arc
from Felixstowe to Southampton. This could be constructed using, in
part, the track beds of the DN&S and LNWR Oxford to Cambridge routes.

This is not something I actually expect to happen! But such a route
could keep a substantial portion of the NL Line's freight load away
from London.

Sorry - I'm not so clued up about this but I am interested. You're
saying that a significant amount of capacity on London's railways are
taken with freight? Freight which has no relation to London and is just
travelling through?

It's currently the only route from Felixstowe which can permit the
passage of 9'6" high containers [1] on normal height wagons to the
West Coast Main Line.

When [2] they finally finish converting the Felixstowe - Nuneaton
route this will no longer be the case.

[1] The current world standard.

[2] If

--