Old March 1st 07, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Oyster Helpline Cost

(Colin Rosenstiel)typed

In article ,
(Helen Deborah Vecht) wrote:

Paul Terry typed

In message , asdf
writes

When you call an 0845 number, the recipient does receive a
portion of the cost of the call, so I presume the answer is yes.

Its not quite that simple. With an 0845 number the charge to the
caller is fixed, whatever the distance of the call, and the
recipient pays or receives any difference in the actual cost of
the call.

But in the case of the Oyster helpline, I would imagine that the
overwhelming majority of calls are local (from the London area)
and so I would expect that they make a profit from using an 0845.

Yebbut aren't the Oyster help people up in Fife or Anstruther or
some other Scottish back of beyondness?

I don't think Ming Campbell would describe his constituency as "some
other Scottish back of beyondness". :-)

Maybe, but I don't suppose he considers it 'local' to London either...

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.