Old March 1st 07, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default North London Line

"Adrian" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 28, 1:35 pm, "D7666" wrote:

At the moment a northbound freight does not conflict with Down SWML
traffic at Basingstoke, but s/b freight has to cross the path up the
Up SWML. If you divert freight via the DNS suggestion, you remove this
conflict at Basingstoke, but introduce a new one at Shawford, because
now northbound freight will conflict with Down SWML . Likewise,
avoiding Reading by reinstating DNS simply shifts the problem of
crossing the GWML to Didcot.

Wasn't the DNS grade separated from the Bristol route in its day?
Either way the 'new' version would need non conflicting junctions.

Given that the railway is unable to get essential flyovers like Woking
built, there is not one hope of getting them at either Shawford or
Didcot.

The situation at Woking is pitiful.

I do like the DNS idea - if you search back in uk.railway I suggested
it myself - the last time was 3 months ago - and I'm sure its been
commented on before. But it is no way a simple reinstatement of an old
route. I think it might be of value as a relief route in general, but
wholly eliminate conflicts, no.

And does it not have a road built along it for some way ?

There would be a need for some land take.

There was a wartime spur from the SWML to the DNS northbound at Winchester
Junction, so Shawford needn't be a problem - just run southbound freights
via Chesil but northbound via Winchester City. However, Didcot was always a
flat junction, though as the DNS approached via a fairly steep gradient a
flyover might be possible.

However, I can't see it happening. Much of the freight originates from the
more western parts of the docks at Southampton, even though the Dibden Bay
proposals have been rejected. So a freight route can be developed via
Romsey, Lavernock Spur, Andover, Basingstoke, Reading and Didcot. Track and
signalling alterations at Basingstoke could reduce (but not eliminate)
conflicts. A diveunder from Reading West Spur to the Relief Lines towards
Tilehurst would remove most of the more serious conflicts in the Reading
area. More use could probably also be made of the MML, accessed via Byfleet,
Chertsey, the Kew Junctions, Acton Wells and Hendon, the flying junctions at
Byfleet and Hendon being particularly useful. The MML would need
requadrupling between Bedford and Kettering.

Peter