Old March 2nd 07, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default North London Line

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
In message
"Peter Masson" wrote:

Track and signalling alterations at Basingstoke could reduce (but not
eliminate) conflicts. A diveunder from Reading West Spur to the Relief
Lines towards Tilehurst would remove most of the more serious conflicts

in
the Reading area.

Would involve going through the depot at Reading, not sure what the

knock-on
effects of that would be. Also there's a housing estate and industrial

area
north of the GWML about there.

Might require changes to the access to the depot, but I'm sure that's
possible. What I envisage is lowering the level of the West Spur to take it
under the Up and Down Main and Down Relief, and surface between the Down and
Up Reliefs, with the Up RFelief realigned. IIRC there are some comparatively
little used sidings on the north of the GWML at this point which would allow
space for the diveunder - after all, a diveunder was recently constructed at
Shortlands Junction at a much more restricted site.

Peter