Old March 2nd 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default North London Line

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

There would be a need for some land take.

There was a wartime spur from the SWML to the DNS northbound at Winchester
Junction, so Shawford needn't be a problem - just run southbound freights
via Chesil but northbound via Winchester City.

I suspect you may not have been near the sites of Chesil, or Kingsworthy, or
Shawford junction recently, the railway would need to resite the entire
A34/A33 flyover junction at Kingsworthy, remove a large proportion of
WInchester's multi story car park and park and ride facilities at Chesil,
and the southern end of the viaduct leads directly to Junction 11 of the
M27, where the railway and a sliproad are under the motorway. I can't be
sure of the formation between the north end of Chesil tunnel through Winnall
and the various trading estates to the north, and I can just imagine the
Nimbys reaction to a regular container train through the watermeadows,
Chesil, and the WInnall housing estates as well.

Thats before you look at the many miles of A34 on the formation, especially
just to the north of Whitchurch, and the southern end of the Newbury bypass.

Paul