Old March 2nd 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default North London Line

In message
"Peter Masson" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote

The question is then, how feasible will it be to take the West Curve out
of commission for an extended period? If you had to reverse all the
container trains in the station it would be an operating nightmare, even
using the freight avoiding line at the back of the station.

It would probably be possible to develop a temporary route from Basingstoke
via Woking, Byfleet (flying junction), Chertsey, Staines, Fekltham, Kew
Junctions, Acton Wells, the spur at Neasden, and the Chiltern Line to
Banbury. Good job Chiltern have doubled Princes Risborough to Aynho.
Presumably we are talking about one path per hour each way, with the
possibility of barring peak hours. May need to reinstate a loop somewhere
between Neasden and Princes Risborough.

Two paths an hour each way I believe, there is a lot of traffic comes out of
Southampton. And the object of the exercise is to keep the trains away from
the London area.

I suspect the extra hassle involved in reversing at Reading will be a lot
less than trying to thread the trains through the intensively worked suburban
lines on the route you suggest. I've now been examining the track layout at
Reading fairly closely on GE and VE and it should be feasible to change locos
on the freight avoiding line without too many problems, There are sidings
avaible for the new loco to wait in wesy of the station.

Using GE I've answered one of my earlier questions, it is very easy to
reverse the traffic flow at Southampton Container Port so that the trains
arrive and depart from the west. I'm surprised they are not doing it
already.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.