Old October 19th 03, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
IanB IanB is offline

Default Overnight Tube

"Clive" wrote in message
In message

, Boltar
writes

Also don't forget theres there question of money. Not

only the extra
cost of powering the trains in the night but staff wages.

I don't
suspect theres a hope in hell of getting *any* LU staff

to work night
shifts (who don't have to already past about 1am) without

a payrise
never mind the drivers.

I don't know about now, but 30 years ago in my time on

Northern and
Central lines, we did work nights. The last and first

trains were
operated by the same crews and in winter were sometimes

called on to run
snow clearing trains on outside sections.
--
Clive

Back in the winter of 62/63 (was it?) I remember "shuttle"
working was introduced North of Bounds Green on the Pic.
This is mainly in the open. Northbound trains terminated
on the centre line at the station (3 track station with two
island platforms - centre track for terminating trains and
access to the sidings). The shuttle to Cockfosters then
ran on the one open track (cannot remember which side) so
one way was completely wrong track
I think ! only used this shuttle the once (not being a
commuter) but IIRC we joined the train at Hounslow East
which must have suffered from a similar snowfall but was
operating normally.
Of course that was in the days of REAL signals with
SIGNALMEN. Today with computers in charge it may not be so
easy.
--
IanB

n.b. Please respond via n.g. (I subscribe to two large
newsgroups so I may be running a few days behind on reading
threads).
you may need to zzremove snooze mode to reply direct