Old October 20th 03, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Why the piccadilly to Heathrow , why not the District?

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message ...
In article , Boltar
writes
Tube stock and surface stock are approximately the same width, it is only

Not true , surface stock is a foot wider which amounts to a lot more extra
room inside the carriages.

They are approximately the same width. Note that both tube and D stock
have 2+2 seating.

Thats true , but in the D stock the seats are a lot wider.

A stock is 3+2, but A stock is far too wide for most lines.

If you look at the dimensions of the trains (I did find a web site with
this info but I can't find it now , typical) , I think A-stock is only about
9cm wider than the others, which is only 4.5 on a side , not a whole hell of
a lot really.

You don't need hindsight to know that bigger trains = better carrying
capacity.

No, since it's not necessarily true.

It is if you're talking about width , height make little difference but the
wider a carriage the more people you can fit in.

B2003