Old March 4th 07, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default North London Line

"Terry Harper" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:09:35 +0000, Peter
wrote:

4. Can it be connected to the SWML at Farnborough?

Pass. My old 1 inch OS Map 169 shows an embankment between the two
from Southbound to Eastbound, south of Farnborough North Station. I
bet most of the spare land of 1959 has been built on nowadays.

The spur from Reading towards Woking was authorised by the Reading Guildford
& Reigate's Act, and the earthworks were constructed. However, the RGRR's
hope that they'd get the LSWR to route London to Reading traffic that way
were thwarted by the LSWR's development of the route via Ascot, so the ntwo
lines were never connected, though a siding was laid on the spur. The l;and
hasn't been built on, as it is inaccessible between the Reading - Guildford
and Ascot - Aldershot lines, and has the Blackwater River and its flood
plain running through it. However, I don't think a Guildford to Basingstoke
spur would be feasible.

Peter