Old March 9th 07, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Tramlink needs Bustitution to meet capacity requirements - crazy

On 9 Mar, 13:59, "Bob" wrote:
On Mar 9, 1:35 pm, "Mizter T" wrote: On 9 Mar, 11:58, Tom Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Bob wrote:
'I can't think of any PFI project we have inherited that wasn't
dysfunctional in one way or another." So said Ken Livingstone, in
typically forthright fashion.

So who negotiated the contract in the first place?

From the TfL website:

Tramtrack Croydon Ltd won a 99-year Private Finance Initiative (PFI)
concession to design, build and maintain the Croydon Tramlink System
in 1996
Croydon Tramlink was opened in May 2000
Croydon Tramlink carries around 24 million passengers a year
TfL inherited responsibility for the PFI contract with Tramtrack
Croydon Ltd following TfL's creation in 2000.

Remember that Ken was in the outer darkness at the time and had the
Tube PPP foisted upon by the Treasury - presumably the same thing
happened in Croydon.

Sort of the same thing - though the Underground PPP was an
'innovation' of the new Labour government elected in 1997, whilst the
Tramlink PFI deal was done under the previous Tory government.