Old March 14th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TheOneKEA TheOneKEA is offline

Default A stock after closure of ELL

On Mar 14, 3:57 pm, "John B" wrote:
In the future, the Cross-London RUS suggests converting the NLL east
of Camden Road to fully AC-electrified and leaving the WLL as-is:

Leaving the WLL in its current electrified state is a colossal
mistake. At a minimum the OHLE should be extended south to Shepherd's
Bush, and at a maximum, it should be extended south to Kensington
Olympia with the up platform road reinstated to provide four fully
bidirectional roads through the station, releasing capacity in both
directions to allow for additional passenger/freight usage (especially
if Imperial Wharf station ever opens).

Converting most of the NLL to AC would be a good idea.

The SLL will remain third-rail-only until the ex-Southern Region
converts to overhead AC, which will be never. If the GOBLIN is
electrified, it will be overhead AC.

This leaves the ELL itself. I'm fairly sure this is third-rail from
New Cross / New Cross Gate to Dalston: although I haven't read
anything explicitly stating that this is the case, none of the TfL
publicity pics have OHLE masts in them and I'd be sceptical that the
tunnels have the necessary clearance.

Beyond Dalston, there's an implication that either the ELL
Electrostars (which will continue initially to Highbury, maybe later
further on) may need to be dual-voltage with a switch-over at Dalston,
that the conversion of the NLL to OHLE east of Camden will not take
place, or that a dual-voltage section of track will be required
between Highbury and Dalston.

There is already a segment of dual-voltage track west of Dalston, so
more is not impossible (although it does give the S&T folks major
issues).

Not sure which is happening here. One suggestion is to re-instate four-
tracking between Camden and Dalston, which would be sensible, and then
to dedicate one pair of tracks between Highbury and Dalston
exclusively to the ELL with the other shared between NLL and freight,
which would be barking mad, given that ELL and NLL trains will run at
the same speed in the same direction making the same stops and freight
won't. But if this did happen then you'd expect the NLL tracks to be
OHLE and the ELL tracks to be DC.

I believe this was actually planned at one point - at Dalston, the
ELLX would be segregated from the NLL with separate platforms, and
west of the station, would run as separate paired-by-usage lines
through Highbury all the way to Caledonian Road & Barnsbury, where the
ELLX lines would connect to the NLL and then terminate in a set of
reversing sidings.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any literature saying what
the layout will be when it finally does get built, so I don't know if
this is still planned or not - the above info is from Modern Railways,
back in 2005 or 2006.