Old March 15th 07, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default A stock after closure of ELL

On 15 Mar, 12:39, "Boltar" wrote:
Converting most of the NLL to AC would be a good idea.

Both of those comments scream out common sense. I'm sure that I read

Depends on the point of view. If its going to be used by freight
trains then yes

It is - NLL is an extremely popular freight route; currently electric
freight is limited to a single bidirectional AC overhead line between
Camden Road and Dalston.

if its just EMUs probably going slowly then I doubt
it makes much difference from an electrical efficiency point of view
but from an asthetic point of view DC would be preferable. Lets face
it , OHLE is a bloody eyesore.

AC would slightly improve electrical efficiency and also improve
acceleration, which is useful on a one-stop-every-mile service like
London Overground. But the main advantage would be reducing the need
for AC/DC switchover at Camden Road, and thereby improving
reliability.

Also, AIUI St Mary's Curve is not going to be lifted, although it's
unlikely to see much use given the new Metronet-National Rail link way
out east (Barking, is it?)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org