Old March 15th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Corser Peter Corser is offline

Default Central Line Timetable

"Dr J R Stockton" wrote in message
. invalid...
In uk.transport.london message , Wed,
14 Mar 2007 23:12:08, Andy posted:

Think of the problems 'extended hours' is causing on programe machine
sites.
(ok it not huge but running a train pass 3am is not that simple)

Have you a reference for the use of days ending at 03:00 ?

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v6.05 IE
6.

John

No - It was like that whilst I was working in LUL (actually did programme
machine design and circuits, had a go at converting programme machines to
site computers, but couldn't get my head round it, did centralised computer
control for Northern, Vic, Met Main, Jubilee and Bakerloo plus major
involvement in Central Line resignalling). The logic was that all scheduled
services should be in depot by then and none of the next days scheduled
services should have started.

I left LUL signalling design in 1995 (after 25 years) and have no real
knowledge how things have changed since, but suspect that major changes
would be unlikely until lines have been resignalled by current contractors
with their own systems.

Working days have to end at some point in time (think also about ticket
availability not ending at midnight), but where the sweet point is is a
matter for conjecture - some lines did have trains starting from depot not
much after 4 am. It was possible to run extra trains with programme
machines using the normal controls, but I doubt if many programme machine
sites are still in use - spares were becoming extremely difficult to source
(most of the electronic cards used in the circuitry were originall hand
wired using discrete components of an earlier era and the machines
themselves were a throwback to an even earlier period) and they were being
replaced by simple electronic interlockings when I left.

Peter
--
Peter & Elizabeth Corser
Leighton Buzzard, UK