Old March 16th 07, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
alex_t alex_t is offline

Default Mayor says no tax rise for Games

You know up here in Lancashire we got all this claptrap about some
big games and athletics fiasco that was being held in Manchester maybe
a couple of years or so ago ,was it the commonwealth games or
something ? . Oh yes the fiasco was going to do wonders for the city
of Manchester and would place no burden on the tax payers of
Manchester in the event the fiasco did bugger all for Manchester
except cause a lot of traffic congestion cost a mint in police
resources and also put up the council tax for the people of Greater
Manchester and two of the built venues are now unoccupied and dropping
to pieces .

Commonwealth games is minor event, which is not known outside
Commonwealth (and I suspect not very popular inside Commonwealth too).
Olympics are one of the most well known sport events with genuine
interest worldwide.

Because they stink!