Old March 17th 07, 12:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

Edward Cowling London UK wrote

£1 with Oyster, or £1 with a Bus Saver ticket (sold as a carnet of 6
for £6).

After a long ponder on this I came to the conclusion that charging
double for those paying cash is not only probably illegal if someone
wanted to take it through the courts. But it's also just plain daft

for
a Mayor purporting to serve the working people of London. And yes I

am
sorry for using words like purporting on a Friday night :-)

I expect Red Ken will organise day release classes for working people
who are too dim to understand Oyster.

It is not illegal for almost any business to refuse cash since legal
tender is an odder concept than you might think. No one has to accept
pounds unless there is a pre-existing debt (so restaurants but not
ordinary stores, penalty fares but not ordinary fares) and no one is
legally obliged to give change.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...egaltender.htm

--
Mike D