Old March 17th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default North London Line Revisited

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:24:28 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message , Dave A
writes
wanted to take it through the courts. But it's also just plain daft
for a Mayor purporting to serve the working people of London. And yes
I am sorry for using words like purporting on a Friday night :-)

Isn't that implying that the "working class people of London" are too
stupid to work out what the cheapest fare is? There's absolutely no
reason why such people can't get Oyster cards. There's even New Deal
Oyster for jobseekers, and soon Venezuelan Oil Oyster for people on
income support...

Your missing the point really. I'm not saying Oyster needs and degree to
use, I'm asking why it has to be cheaper than using cash ? I use an
Oyster with a travel card, and I fail to see why I can use the buses out
to zone 6 for free, yet someone going for a job interview has to pay two
quid !

Oyster is cheaper because overall it delivers huge benefits to TfL and
its customers by being faster, more convenient and saves money relating
to cash payment and processing as well as reducing boarding and queuing
times. These are all hugely important. Therefore there is a push to get
people out of cash by applying a differential.

There is no barrier to people holding an Oyster card and thus
benefitting from lower fares. Such differentials are absolutely standard
on all systems I have used - Hong Kong and Singapore certainly operate
lower fares on bus and rail for Smartcard users compared to cash. There
are also product discounts that are *only* available if you use a card.
These are typically free or discounted transfer trips on a second bus or
a bus to / from a metro service. All of this is entirely legitimate.

There was an action brought against an electricity company for charging
key meter customers more than those on quarterly bills. The action was
won and the electricity company had to give large credits to it's key
meter customers. That seems to have set a precedent that could be
applied to charging more to cash users of the transport system. Cash is
still used every day by just about everyone in the UK. Try getting your
morning cuppa at the local cafe with a debit card :-) So fares should
be the same price for cash, as they are on Oyster.

Sorry but flawed logic. See my examples above - nothing illegal about
them. You might also be shocked at how many people use debit cards in
stores for purchases (including food and drink) of about £1 or over.

Another person has responded on the electricity issue - Oyster vs cash
fares is not the same.

Personally I'd vote for the party that reverted to the old pricing
system and abolished the congestion charge. Anyone fancy starting a one
trick party called say... UK common sense for London party ?? ;-)

As you would appear from your posts to be a natural Tory supporter I
look forward to your reaction when David Cameron's candidate for London
Mayor fails to adopt your preferred (but backward) policies.
--
Paul C